Monday 16 April 2012

FantaSea Reefworld

WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
We got up at 6:00ish and got ourselves ready to go. We only had a cup of tea because we knew we'd be having 'tea' on the boat.... We caught the bus and headed off to Shute Harbour. We got on the fast cat and headed out for Hamilton Island first, and then out to Hardy Reef - Reefworld. The wind was up and the water was pretty rough going the 25 minutes to Hamilton Island... We then set off out between Hook Island and Hamilton Island and had our tea and toast...
Now, we left the relative shelter of the islands and started east towards the great beyond, commonly known as the Great Barrier Reef. It started with some high rollers and it was almost a bit fun at first.... Then it started to get just downright ugly.... Seriously...... The waves were around 10 - 15 feet high.... Honestly...... Mark stayed out on the back of the boat for the first hour or so and I was inside, on the top level, near the front, and the barf fest began.... Good Grief Charlie Brown!!!!!!! Barfarama!!!!!!!!!  I had to look either outside at the crashing 10 foot waves and hold on tight for the next crash of the boat against the waves, or look to my side or front or rear and listen and see numerous people heaving their breakfast that they shouldn't have had as we were all warned about the wave height situation.. We both took the anti-seasickness pills.... They worked really well... Only about 30 of the 130 on the boat were puking.... It was pretty bad...


rough seas to Reefworld



people snorkelling within the guide ropes on Hardy Reef





FantaSea Reefworld floating complex


Anyway, after another hour and a half, we finally reached the sanctuary of Reefworld... Tucked in between two reefs like the banks of a river.
We signed up the for the scuba dive lessons and I was really afraid... We got off the boat and headed right into the lessons. We had to gear up with stinger suits, wet suits, buoyancy compensation vest and tank and weight belt.... I could hardly stand up.... lol... seriously.... Then down to the ("moon pool" a platform on the under side of the reef world floating complex It is a grated submerged platform sitting in 4 feet of water with an access point to the depths beyond.) we went for our lessons.... I was $%^&&ing my pants..... We did the lessons and went under the moon pool and I knew I was doomed. I was close to panic and I knew I could not finish the dive... The guided tried to calm me down and he helped me go through all the lessons and then brought me down to the guide rope underneath Reefworld and left me there to get Mark and the two Chinese girls organized for their dive..... As I hung out on the rope, I was slowly going into a state of panic..... I decided to look around before I bailed on the whole thing... What I saw was truly surreal... And we weren't allowed a camera on this 'introductory dive'.... I saw Jackfish stacked up in rows just like a funnel formation or a staircase.... It was absolutely incredible... And then a Grouper or two happen by and make it even more wonderful... The backdrop was a wall of creamy white that made the fish even more surreal.. I don't think my words can justify how incredibly beautiful it all was.... Then the guide showed up and I gave him the signal that I couldn't do it anymore and he took me back to the moon pool and continued on with the rest of the group....  Mark did the dive and I saw him underneath me after I headed back up on deck and decided to go snorkelling on the ropes they provided. It was so cool..... I am so proud of Mark for being able to do the dive... I know we'll try it again... I just need more then 7 minutes in rushed instructions before I can do it again..
   When Mark was done his dive, we found each other and snorkelled on the reef itself which was only about 3 - 4 feet deep and it was so awesome... All sorts of fish were coming up to us and checking us out and we saw all sorts of fish that anyone would see on tv when they show reefs. It was truly a special and incredible experience.. Totally dude!!!!



Susan snorkelling on Hardy Reef



Parrot Fish on the reef -  so beautiful!!



various corals on the reef
 









?? fish swimming with the snorkellers just off the swim grid on Reefworld




Mark on the reef getting his picture taken with Nemo.. See the little fellow near the top of the anemone?


4 comments:

  1. Wow truly an adventure!! Not sure if I could take the seas or the dive!! I have always been afraid to go as well! And it really weighs alot eh? LOL
    Truly amazing sights !
    Your description made me feel like I was right there!!!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi guys! Mom I think it's awesome you went scuba diving! love the underwater pics. Looks like a great time, keep havin' fun! :) XOX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Diving is super unnerving the first time. I hope you do try again though, it's pretty amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to hear you didn't get sea sick. That's crazy to hear your scuba lessons were 7 minutes long, I really love the underwater shots, they're so clear, take care.

    ReplyDelete